Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Great Dig - Part 3 - Mid Week Progress

I finally had a chance to get out and dig some more yesterday before it rained - actually it did shower a couple of times while I was digging but it wasn't much so I just kept at it. I removed about a cubic yard, maybe a bit more. Now that I'm getting towards the back of the house there's a lot more dirt (the ground slows up). I'm about 2/3rds of the way to the back wall from where I started but the going is much slower as there's a lot more dirt to remove.




I've also been spending my time putting together a 3D model of the house and yard in SketchUp - this is where I am so far:


The carport is done excapt for the supporting poles - I still need to add the door to the front and work out the windows and then I can move to the side. The outside walls are up but no windows have been added to the side or back and I still have to render the roof. In all it's coming along nicely. I posted earlier about taking measurements - the only way to get this to work is to take some relatively accurate measurements fo the various features so you'll know where to place them - even so I find myself going out a lot to make sure I have some of the details right, or to capture a measurement that I had missed. I think all this work will pay off nicely as I'll be able to extend the measurements to the interior to for potential changes to the kitchen, etc.

-- John

No comments: